Google

Thursday, August 03, 2006

"a big project I could sink my teeth into"


Madonna has committed to helping orphans in Malawi, Africa, she tells Time magazine in its new issue.

"Now that I have children and now that I have what I consider to be a better perspective on life, I have felt responsible for the children of the world," the singer, who has pledged to raise at least $3 million for Malawi programs, tells Time. "I've been doing bits and bobs about it and I suppose I was looking for a big, big project I could sink my teeth into."

That big project includes financing a $1 million documentary about the plight of the orphans, as well as a partnership with developing-world economic guru Jeffrey Sachs on programs to improve the health, agriculture and economy of a Malawi village.

Malawi, a southeast African nation of 12 million people, is plagued by AIDS and malaria and is home to about 1 million orphans.

Madonna has also met with Bill Clinton to see if they can work together to bring low-cost medicines to the area, Time reports.

Her plan will kick into high gear next week, when ground will be broken on an orphan-care center in Malawi that will be able to feed and educate as many as 1,000 children a day.

From Drowned Madonna.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home